Call for GHC Maintainers

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 07:31:56 UTC 2020

Hi there!

Thanks everyone for showing interest. I've started a wiki page here:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/ghc-maintainers
Please add yourself to the release you'd like to maintain. I've tried
to come up with a plan on how to actually look at this problem,
and it appears to me that we want a list of Merge Requests that are
considered for backporting, and then see to which GHC we
backport them.  So essentially a matrix with GHC releases / merge
requests, and values being either empty or the commit in which
the MR was backported.

To get the existing matrix we might try to extract this from the git
history? Does anyone have a good idea how to do this properly?
The alternative would be to go through all existing MRs, and check for
backports, which would be quite tedious, and an automated
solution (at least to get the initial matrix would be good?).  In
general I believe there to be value in a matrix of backports for easy
lookup.

Then we'll need a good way to flag new incoming MRs for backports, and
have the release maintainers look at them, and their
applicability/suitability for a given release.

Finally, let's not kid ourselves here, this will require some time
investment, taking ownership and coordination. I don't think we need
to rush releases, but we should make sure that releases are of good quality.

Cheers,
 Moritz