validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Oct 14 09:55:39 UTC 2019

> On Oct 13, 2019, at 6:38 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:
>
> Richard Eisenberg <rae at richarde.dev> writes:
>
>> Here's one: https://gitlab.haskell.org/rae/ghc/-/jobs/173464
>> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/rae/ghc/-/jobs/173464> I don't know if you
>> can get more information...
>>
> Right, this particular job simply timed out (e.g. waited 10 hours)
> before a Darwin builder became available. It's not an indication of a
> failure, merely that we are underprovisioned on the Darwin front.

That was my guess. But how often does this happen? Does this failure mean we should make the darwin build somehow optional? Increase the timeout? Any fragility in our CI infrastructure is damaging: it slows the acceptance of otherwise-ready patches and contributes to a "broken windows" effect encouraging developers to ignore CI failures. Conversely, how expensive would it be to improve our darwin provisioning?

Thanks,
Richard