atomicModifyMutVar2

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 11 16:56:20 UTC 2019

The result doesn't have to be a pair. It can be a tuple of any size at all. Indeed, it can even be an arbitrary record type whose first pointer field has the appropriate type.

I think that is 100.0% undocumented, in the code, or in the proposal.  Are you sure this is a settled consensus among the interested parties?

Adopting it would impose new invariants on the representation of values in GHC that I am deeply reluctant to impose.  I would much much prefer to stick with the pair that is (somewhat) documented.

About pair vs Unit, yes, I can see (just) your point about why a pair might be useful.  Here’s a better example:

Suppose mv :: MutVar# Int

atomicModifyMutVar2# mv $ \a ->

  let foo = f a

  in (g foo, foo)

Now, if f is expensive, and g is not invertible, then sharing foo might be useful.  It’s hard to think of a credible example, though.  Regardless, we should document it.

Simon