ByteArray# as a foreign import argument?

Sylvain Henry sylvain at haskus.fr
Fri Oct 11 08:32:24 UTC 2019

 > But I can't find such a ByteArray type definition in today's common
packages. What's the rationale for this piece of code?

Doing some archeology they seem to have been removed from
ghc/lib/std/PrelArr.lhs in e921b2e307532e0f30eefa88b11a124be592bde4 (1999):

  data Ix ix => Array ix elt        = Array            ix ix (Array# elt)
-data Ix ix => ByteArray ix          = ByteArray ix ix ByteArray#
  data Ix ix => MutableArray     s ix elt = MutableArray     ix ix
(MutableArray# s elt)
-data Ix ix => MutableByteArray s ix     = MutableByteArray ix ix
(MutableByteArray# s)

So it's probably dead code since then.

Cheers,
Sylvain