Proposed changes to merge request workflow

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 10:25:19 UTC 2019

If the maintainers are not willing to either review or find reviewers
for a new contributors patch
then it doesn't seem to me that a project wants or values new contributors.

A maintainer can make a value judgement about a patch that is isn't
worth reviewing, but such
situations are exceedingly rare. Everyone contributes patches in good
faith in order to make the compiler better.

Realistically it's impossible to be a good reviewer without having
implemented patches on the code base. If you don't
have a good handle for how things work then it's too big to get a feel
for just by reading the code. You need to learn how things
fit together by getting stuck writing patches.

At least some of the maintainers are paid to maintain GHC and as such,
should be expected to perform responsibilities that
volunteers are not willing to perform. One of these tasks should be
finding reviewers for all patches and making sure contributions
do not languish indefinitely.

Apart from this one point the suggested process sounds good but it
seems to have stalled in the last month.

Cheers,

Matt