Building GHC 8.4.3 Cross-Compiler Linux x86 -> Linux ARM

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon May 27 21:25:00 UTC 2019

Michael Dunn <michaelsdunn1 at gmail.com> writes:

> Ben,
>
> I saw that you responded to my question in #ghc on freenode last
> weekend (mdunnio), and I missed your message.

Michael,

I would be happy to help. I'm CCing ghc-devs so others may benefit from
this discussion.

> I'm trying to build a cross compiler using ghc 8.0.1 to build ghc
> 8.4.3. You mentioned that you have experience.
>
> Have you tried on newer versions of GHC? I've looked at a few guides
> (mostly https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/building/cross-compiling)
> and they all are using pre-8.0. The problem I'm running into now just
> seems to be that I can't build the base packages (ghc-pkg
> specifically).
>
> My configure command is:
>
> ./configure --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
> --enable-unregisterised

This is helpful to know but you didn't specify what your `make`
invocation looks like or your mk/build.mk. It would be very helpful to
know both of these things.

Presumably you at least had to set `HADDOCK_DOCS=NO` since otherwise the
build system fails very early on.

Cheers,

- Ben