Overloaded names for Map/Set?

Andreas Klebinger klebinger.andreas at gmx.at
Fri May 24 14:11:55 UTC 2019

Hello devs,

I would appreciate feedback on the idea in
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/934

Maps/Sets in GHC for the most part offer the same basic functionality
but their interfaces differ.
In order to make this easier to work with I propose using overloading
via IsSet/IsMap classes.

The goal is to make working with these data structures simpler by having
a uniform interface
when it comes to names and argument orders.

There are downsides, but to me they seem minor. Error messages can be
more confusing when one
get's the types wrong. We have to import the class to use it and the like.
However overall I think making code easier by not having to remember the
naming scheme + argument order
for the different possible instances would make this worthwhile.

But GHC isn't my project but one of the community so please voice your
opinion on the matter on the
merge request!

Cheers
Andreas