Website for viewing proposals

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu May 9 12:40:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

I looked into getting doi’s for our accepted proposals, but it looked
harder than it should be.

Building a nice web page from our repository and publishing it on
GitHub pages, which can serve a custom domain like
ghc-proposals.haskell.org would not be hard. Matthew even started a
Makefile at some point that produces a reasonably nice output using
sphinx.

Maybe only reason why I am hesitant to do so is that there is a feature
creep risk:
We start with a webpage that shows accepted proposals,
soon we’ll add functionality to list pending proposals and their status
(why not? They are just a GitHub API call away),
then we start using this page to actually drive the proposals (surely
we can use this to tally the votes),
and then we end up with a system that no longer has the “you just need
to know GitHub to use it” property that made us build a Github-centric
process in the first place.

But maybe I am paranoid, and I should just set up the CI infrastructure
for Matthew’s sphinx build.

BTW, in hindsight, I regret that we renumber proposals after
acceptance. It would be easier if they just retained the number of the
PR (other proposal processes out there do that). But that ship has
sailed.

Cheers,
Joachim