Is cleaning up old issues worthwhile?

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Wed May 8 16:16:41 UTC 2019

In my time working on an old system, I found the statement "they are so
old that if the bug still exists there is probably a newer ticket" to be
false multiple times.  Large systems hide many obscure bugs, some of
which are rarely encountered. And sometimes the oldest symptom is the
clearest one. I have always found that more tests is best; so even when
I closed old bugs as 'magically fixed' in Maple, I still created a
regression test for it.

Jacques