Windows release quality

Andreas Klebinger klebinger.andreas at gmx.at
Tue Mar 19 20:48:47 UTC 2019

Just to make this clear it's not my intention to blame anyone or point
fingers.
Given the resources at hand I think Phyx and you have done an amazing job
so far to keep things working!

The core of the issue is that if someone sits down and installs a
"stable" GHC today he
will either get a version that hangs on any dependency using TH (8.6.3)
or run into weird errors if he tries to profile an executable.
Both of which I would call rather mundane development activities.

But what I take issue with is not that there is some brokenness.
It's how we deal with that fact from a user perspective.

Pretty much all distribution channels currently provide 8.6.3 or 8.6.4
as stable.

Haskell Platform:
         "The latest version of the Haskell Platform for Windows is 8.6.3."
Stackage:
         * LTS 13.13 for GHC 8.6.4 <https://stackage.org/lts-13.13>,
published 3 days ago
         * LTS 13.11 for GHC 8.6.3 <https://stackage.org/lts-13.11>,
published a week ago
haskell.org:
         Current Stable Release: 8.6.4

And none of the download pages give any indication of issues. Neither
does the user guide.
How much effort can we really expect from a user to find out something
basic like profiling or TH is simply broken
in a release marked as stable?

I've actually got hit by both issues despite at least following ghc
development somewhat.
We don't have to be debian. But as a windows user a release being stable
has lost all meaning to me.

And I imagine it's worse for people not looking behind the curtain.