Windows release quality

Phyx lonetiger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:52:40 UTC 2019

Hi Andreas,

GHC 8.6.4 not supporting profiling libs was the first thing mentioned in
the release email

 - A regression resulting in segmentation faults on Windows introduced
   by the fix for #16071 backported in 8.6.3. This fix has been reverted,
   meaning that 8.6.4 is once again susceptible to #16071. #16071 will
   be fixed in GHC 8.8.1.

It was also stated that it would be back in 8.8.1.  At this point there was
no way to get profiling libs
on 8.6.x without a major backport of linker changes from master.  The
choice was made to revert the
change and release 8.6.4 without profiling libraries because of a stack
allocation bug that was dormant for
years but completely killed the 32 bit distribution. That said the
changelog linked to the wrong issue, the second
two should have been #15934 but that's not hard to figure out by looking at
the ticket.

This was not an oversight, both the choice to release GHC 8.6.4 without
profiling libs (which really to the average user is not mission critical)
and the fact to release 8.6.4 at all were thought out decisions. It could
have been communicated better yes.

That 8.6.3 wasn't removed I don't know. I pulled it from chocolatey at
least.

8.6 is more production ready than 8.4 was, it just doesn't support
profiling libs for a while till 8.8 yes.

Tamar.