Haddock tree spongled

Alec Theriault alec.theriault at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:42:21 UTC 2019

Hi,

> The currently recommended workflow is that your commit should be in
> the ghc-head branch before the merge to GHC takes place. This enforces

This seems problematic: everyone is going to race to get their changes into Haddock's ghc-head first, then block everyone else’s Haddock-touching patches from building with CI until the GHC side of the first person's changes goes through too. And that might take some time if Marge finds problems with the patch. I propose the workflow be:

Once you’ve finished your patch, rebase the GHC side on top of upstream GHC master
Rebase the Haddock side on top of upstream Haddock ghc-head
Once Marge merges your MR, fast-forward the upstream ghc-head to your new commit

That way, multiple MR’s with Haddock parts can “race” to get merged. Whoever loses just has to rebase. Ideally, we would have Marge doing both the rebasing and step #3 for us. In the place of Marge, anyone who has write access to Haddock should feel free to do step #3 too (like when Marge merges an MR while the author of the MR is busy doing other things… like sleeping).

As a side note, I do wish there was an easy way in GitLab to quickly jump to the diffs of submodules (or at least an easy way to copy the new commit hash).

Thanks,
Alec