Trac to GitLab migration underway

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Mar 12 17:42:31 UTC 2019

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 8:13 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:
>
> Richard Eisenberg <rae at cs.brynmawr.edu> writes:
> For instance, consider the case of
> #16347 [1]. You will note that below the "Related issues" section there
> is a list of related merge requests (strangely formatted completely
> differently).

Aha. That's exactly what I wanted. If that note is added to an issue when an MR mentions the issue number, I'm quite satisfied.

> To be honest, how this list is formed is a bit of a mystery to me. The
> fact that !525 is included is not surprises: !525 mentions #16347 in
> its description. However, !436 is a bit less obvious since it does not
> mention #16347 at all. My hypothesis is that it is transitively included
> via #16344, which does mention #16437 and is related to it.

Transitive closures have a habit of sometimes getting large. But we'll tackle that problem when/if it comes up.
> Indeed, as I mentioned earlier this may be a bit of a hard thing to
> accomplish in the near-term. One measure we could take to ensure that
> tests aren't forgotten is to include a "field" in the default merge
> request description which contributors would be asked to fill in with
> the names of the tests that cover their change.

That's not a bad starting point. But it will hit only new contributors, right? Or will I be filling out such a form too (it's been a few weeks since my last patch submission, I'm afraid.)

Thanks!
Richard