Testing GHC against Hackage via CI

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Mar 5 19:22:01 UTC 2019

Ryan Scott <ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com> writes:

> This is fantastic work! I'm looking forward to using this.
>
> Are there plans to merge GitLab's fork of head.hackage back into the
> upstream repo [1]? I ask since I regularly submit patches to upstream, but
> if the GitLab CI is using the fork, then it may take some time for upstream
> changes to make their way back to the fork.

Yes, if it's okay with Herbert I think this branch should be merged
upstream.

We might also consider going even further: making
gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/head.hackage the upstream repository. If we don't
do this I would likely need to maintain a "stable" branch alongside
`master` to ensure that the head.hackage build doesn't break due to bad
patches landing in `master`. Moving the upstream to GitLab would avoid
this since all patches landed would go through CI.

Cheers,

- Ben