__mingw_vsnw_printf definition

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Mar 5 17:01:34 UTC 2019

Hi Tamar,

Recently I've been working on (finally) stabilizing our remaining CI
configurations (namely i386/Linux and Windows). I've opened a number of
tickets (see the list in !487 [1]) but one of these in particular I'd
like your input on.

Specifically #16387: The problem is the apparent multiple-definition of
__mingw_vsnwprintf: once in mingwex.a and again in RtsSymbols.
Unfortunately I have been unable to reproduce this error locally, so
debugging has been a bit tricky.

The RtsSymbols entry was introduced in
4de585a5c1ac3edc2914cebcac1753b514051a89 (which lifted the MAX_PATH
restriction in the RTS) but there was no explanation for why. Do you
happen to recall why you added it? Note [Symbols for MinGW's printf]
seems relevant, but seems to only discuss the entries for _lock_file and
_unlock_file.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/487