Vector registers assumed to be caller or callee-saved?

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus ml at stefansf.de
Sat Jun 29 18:05:57 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'm wondering what GHC assumes about vector registers XMMi, YMMi, and ZMMi used
by the STG machine: are those assumed to be caller or callee-saved? Only for
the x86-64 architecture there exist macro definitions like CALLER_SAVES_XMM1 in
includes/stg/MachRegs.h.  However, I cannot find any other place where those
macros are used.  AFAIK most C ABIs assume that vector registers are call
clobbered. Is this also the case for GHC?

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan