Why is NoExt inhabited?

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Jun 25 03:21:57 UTC 2019

I forget if I'm the contributor Ben mentions below, but regardless: NoExt is used in two separate ways within GHC. It's used both as the extension of a sum (new constructor) and the extension of a product (new field in a constructor). But the identity for sum is different than the identity for products. To me, it makes good sense for the NoExt used as a product extension (new field) to have the 1 trivial inhabitant (thus forming the identity for products), but the NoExt used as a sum extension (new constructor) to have 0 inhabitants (thus forming the identity for sums). Clearly, one of these will need a new name.

Thanks,
Richard