gitlab subject lines

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Jul 23 23:18:06 UTC 2019

Artem Pelenitsyn <a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> Long uninformative prefixes are indeed a huge pain. If emails are something
> you GitLab masters are going to look at, I have one more suggestion. It
> would be nice if there was a way to tell email notifications about MRs from
> ones about issues. It was trivial before when we had Phab vs Trac. But now
> I can't find a way to make them go into different direvtories. It turns
> out, Gmail filters, for one, can't target individual symbols. like ! vs #
> (there is even an SE question about exactly telling apart Gitlab's emails
> https://webapps.stackexchange.com/q/52828/70750).

I don't know if this is possible with GMail filters but if you can
filter on arbitrary mail headers it definitely is possible to
make this distinction. GitLab notifications have a number of headers
(e.g. X-GitLab-Project, X-GitLab-MergeRequest-IID) which make this sort
of this quite simple.

> I also used to be subscribed for notifications about Trac Wiki. Is it
> possible to have those from the Gitlab Wiki? I understand wiki is mirrored
> from https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc-wiki-mirror but if you start
> watching it, it won't notify about regular commits to master, only about
> MRs/issues, but no one opens those on that repo.

Hmm. Yes, commit notifications would be helpful.
There is an "email on push" notifier integration [1], but it appears to
only support sending to a fixed set of addresses. We would need to setup
a mailing list to use it for Wiki notifications.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/integrations/emails_on_push.html