Weight field in issues too fine grained?

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 06:04:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

One of the problems I'm having when triaging is that I think the "weight" field
for issues is currently too fine grained. The triage protocol[1] gives some idea
but it's still up to the person who's doing triaging to decide, for example,
between 7 vs. 10 for a runtime crash.

I think a better "weight" field would be what we had in trac: highest, high,
normal etc. that way we don't have to decide whether a runtime panic is 8 or 9
or 10, we'd just mark it as "highest".

Now if we had a lot of issues with weight 8, 9, 10 etc. perhaps we'd use the
weight field to prioritize, but in my experience we usually have very little
such issues and they all get fixed before the next release, so the distinction
between e.g. 8 vs. 9 is not useful or meaningful.

Is it possible to do switch to trac-style priority/weight field in Gitlab?
Anyone else think that this would be good?

Ömer

[1]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/gitlab/issues#triage-protocol