Cloning (Shayne Fletcher)

Shayne Fletcher shayne.fletcher at daml.com
Mon Jul 1 14:06:37 UTC 2019

Well this is an unexpected and most welcome development. Way to go Arnaud!

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 06:53 Artem Pelenitsyn <a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Jost,
>
> Thanks for researching this! In fact, Arnaud did his own research on this
> topic and submitted !1309 [1] to switch to the absolute paths. The MR has
> been approved by Ben swiftly and now awaits merging.
>
> I believe we should default to the common case, which is to use abs paths
> making the life of, presumably, many people easier, and let those who
> understand submodules hack their way through them.
>
> [1]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/1309
>
> --
> Best wishes,
> Artem
>

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 12:17, Jost Berthold <jost.berthold at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just on this detail in the previous mails:

>> > relative paths.  Why not make them absolute?
>> >
>> > I continue to wonder about that and if switching to absolute paths might
>> > remove this wrinkle. Can anyone chime in?
>>
>> I remember the relative paths for submodules were added to make working
>> with several clones of the GHC repo (to lower rebuild cost for
>> simultaneous branches or similar) easier.
>>
>> With relative paths, one can make a second local clone from the first
>> one and all references to all submodules will share local data.
>>
>> That said, this does get in the way sometimes. I changed back to
>> absolute paths in my GHC fork quite a while back.
>>

>> / Jost

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only,
may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary
and subject to important terms and conditions available at
http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html
<http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html>. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this message.