Why are nested brackets disallowed?

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:56:45 UTC 2019

I don't think that cross stage persistence will work as it is
currently implemented which is probably why the check exists.

1. The normal case

foo x = [| x |] ===>
  foo x = [| $(lift x) |]

2. x is defined at stage 0, and used at stage 2.

One option is:
foo x = [| [| x |] |] ===>
  foo x = [| [| $($(lift (lift x))) |] |]
or
foo x = [| [| x |] |] ===>
  foo x = [| let x' = $(lift x) in [| $(lift [| x' |]) |]

We need to think a bit how to `lift` something of type `Q Exp` because
of the `Q` monad. Lifting an `Exp` seems trivial as it's a normal ADT
(I tested and this works after deriving 40 instances).

You can define `lift2` which lifts an expression twice as follows.

```
lift2 :: Lift a => a -> Q Exp
lift2 a = lift a >>= \e -> [| return $ $(lift e) |]
```

3. x is defined at stage 1 and used in stage 2

  foo = [| \x -> [| $(lift x) |] |]

Desugared with a single call to `lift` like normal.

4. x is defined in stage 2 and used in stage 1

Rejected just like usual. `x` won't be bound when the splice is run.

It seems that with some suitable care that things will work out when
lifting across multiple levels but that is the point where care needs
to be taken.

Matt