Groups and projects

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 24 09:17:58 UTC 2019

> Alright, I believe I have found the issue: you are a member of
> the GHC group and GitLab's default notification behavior is that
> you will receive notifications for all events of repositories in
> groups to which you belong.

OK thanks, that's helpful.

When you say "repository" could you also have said "project".  That is, are "projects" and "repositories" in 1-1 correspondence?

So, to understand the semantics, you can belong to

* A project.
* A group

What's the difference? The group seems to be "Glasgow Haskell Compiler"; the project seems to be "Glasgow Haskell Compiler / GHC".  Does that imply that
 * every project is part of a group; but
 * a group may have many projects?

Or maybe a project can be part of more than one group?

The "Custom settings" on a project seem to be identical to the "custom settings" for a group.  If Gitlab is deciding whether to send me a notification N, is it clear whether it's a "project notification" or a "group notification"?  If so, then it can consult the appropriate settings; but if not, it's not clear.

Sorry for all these questions.  It's astonishingly common for large software systems to describe the surface knobs without describing the underlying model that makes sense of all those knobs!

Simon