GitLab forks and submodules

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Jan 10 17:17:06 UTC 2019

Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com> writes:

> > while making the case of contributing patches with submodule changes more
> > difficult
>
> I don't understand this, can you give an example of what absolute paths make
> harder?
>
> Looking at the wiki pages and scripts we need to make relative paths work for
> everyone, I think it's clear that absolute paths would be better because CI
> wouldn't need any scripts anymore and users would need no instructions to make
> cloning forks work.

The problem comes when a user needs to modify a submodule. In this case
then need the submodule to pull from their clone until their patch is
accepted upstream. There is no single submodule path scheme that works
in both this case and the (likely more common case) of a causual
contributor wanting to make a change to only the GHC repository.

Cheers,

- Ben