GitLab forks and submodules

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:40:52 UTC 2019

Alright let me add some example that is really painful with submodules.

Say I have a custom ghc fork angerman/ghc, because I really don't want
to overload CI with all my stupidity and I *know* I'd forget to mark
every commit with [skip ci] or something.

Now I need to modify a bunch of submodules as well, say
- libraries/bytestring
- libraires/unix

And next I want to have someone else collaborate on this with me, either
for testing or contributing or what not.

So I'm going to give them the following commands to run:

git clone --recursive https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc
(cd ghc && git remote add angerman https://gitlab.haskell.org/angerman/ghc)
(cd ghc && git fetch --all)
(cd ghc/libraries/bytestring && git remote add angerman https://github.com/angerman/bytestring && git fetch --all)
(cd ghc/libraries/unix && git remote add angerman https://github.com/angerman/unix && git fetch --all)
(cd ghc && git checkout angerman/awesome/sauce)
(cd ghc && git submodule update --init --recursive)

instead of

git clone --recursive https://gitlab.haskell.org/angerman/ghc --branch awesome/sauce

Of course that would require me to change the absolute paths for bytestring and unix
in my repo. So maybe I only need 5 instead of 7 commands to remember to tell, and
type, and ...

Cheers,
 Moritz