GitLab CI for patches across submodules

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat Jan 5 21:18:23 UTC 2019

Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to use GitLab CI to validate a GHC patch including changes to
> Haddock: https://gitlab.haskell.org/sjakobi/ghc/pipelines/842
>
> The problem is that the CI script tries to find my Haddock commit at
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/haddock. But that repo doesn't even allow
> merge request.
>
> Should the submodule origin for util/haddock maybe point at
> https://github.com/haskell/haddock instead?

In general we want to ensure that only *.haskell.org hosts are relied on
during normal builds (since some users build artifacts under very
restrictive sandbox conditions). However, we can certainly use the
upstream repo during CI builds.

I have opened !78 which should hopefully fix this. Perhaps you could
rebase on topp of this and check?

Cheers,

- Ben