Marge has been stabilised

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:37:34 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I think I have finally managed to stablise the merge bot (Marge).

If you have a patch ready to merge then

1. Make sure that CI shows as passing
2. Make sure it has been approved by at least one person
3. Make sure it is not marked as WIP

Once these three conditions are met, assign the PR to "Marge Bot" and
then she will pick it up and merge it, hopefully within 24 hours
depending on her current state.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I included some more specific
detail below.

Cheers,

Matt

------

Here is her current mode of operation.

Every 30 minutes whilst idle she will try to find new MRs to batch
together. If she finds at least two MRs to batch together then she
creates a batch as a new merge request. A batch is the series of MRs
rebased on top of each other from oldest to newest.

She then waits for this merge request to pass CI, checking every 10
minutes to see if it has done so.

Once the MR has passed CI, she rebases and merges each MR in the batch
one by one to the target branch. In between each MR she merges she
waits 5 minutes.

Due to the fact each MR is merged one by one:

1. The original MR will be closed automatically.
2. A CI job will trigger for each MR as it lands on master.