Commit comments - call for opinions

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 7 09:22:28 UTC 2019

|  GitLab does things slightly differently. It has "live" git repository
|  information available, and rather than the relatively static comment list
|  we see in Trac, it synthesizes a "timeline" style list of events relevant
|  to an issue, which includes comments ("notes"), but also issue status
|  updates, git commits, and other things.

Can you show an example of such a time-line? Where is it displayed?  The "Discussion" tab perhaps?

Personally I like what we are doing now, with the commit message inline. Clicking links to see useful information gets in the way.  (I'm not sure if even the title/author/date of the commit are displayed.)

|  a) Import commit comments as notes, duplicating the commit message into
|  the note, and having both the full commit note and a hyperlinked commit
|  reference in the issue timeline.

I'm in favour of this.  It just preserves history and doesn't commit us for the future.

One more question: currently the commit appears as a comment in every Trac ticket that is mentioned in the text of the commit message.  That's _really_ useful, because it signals (in those related tickets) that there's a relevant commit to watch out for.  Will it continue to be the case?

Simon