new llvm IR callbr instruction useful for proc-point splitting?

Kavon Farvardin kavon at farvard.in
Wed Dec 4 19:31:46 UTC 2019

Hi Ben,
The Wiki now has a link to the Google Doc that Michal and I were working on to
compile all of the notes into one place.
The key progress made on this front has been in evaluating the trade-offs of the
design space being considered by GHC, but tested within Manticore.
I'm drafting a message today for the LLVM mailing list regarding one of our
first options: defining a GHC ABI to redefine which stack-pointer register is
used.
Once we have additional answers to the question "how much effort is it to add a
GHC ABI to LLVM?", we can then then start a discussion on whether GHC wants to
change instead by moving to a native stack-pointer register (to take advantage
of existing debugging and profiling tools, etc).
Ideally, we would then make a decision on which option to take and someone
(perhaps a GSoC student with mentorship from myself and others) with spare time
can work on it.
Cheers,Kavon