Cabal woes

Vanessa McHale vanessa.mchale at iohk.io
Mon Apr 15 22:02:08 UTC 2019

If you want to install it globally for use by GHC, I think you want
v1-install.

On 4/15/19 5:00 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs wrote:

> Thanks.  But alas I have no clue about whether I want a v1-install or
> a v2-install, nor how to achieve them if I knew what they were.  I
> just want to install ‘hspec’ so that I can use it when compiling a
> program.  How would I do that?
>

> The instructions here https://wiki.haskell.org/Cabal-Install
> <https://wiki.haskell.org/Cabal-Install> just say “cabal install
> hspec” which is what I tried.  Those instructions are pointed to from
> here https://wiki.haskell.org/Cabal/How_to_install_a_Cabal_package,
> which in turn are pointed to from the main Cabal home page
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/.
>

> I must be missing something.
>

> Simon

*Vanessa McHale*
Functional Compiler Engineer | Chicago, IL

Website: www.iohk.io <http://iohk.io>
Twitter: @vamchale
PGP Key ID: 4209B7B5

Input Output <http://iohk.io>

Twitter <https://twitter.com/InputOutputHK> Github
<https://github.com/input-output-hk> LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/input-output-global>

This e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed.
Dissemination, distribution, and/or copying of the transmission by
anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error please notify IOHK immediately and
delete it from your system. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error free. We do not accept liability for any loss,
damage, or error arising from this transmission