Cabal woes

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 15 21:47:40 UTC 2019

I'm trying to install 'hspec' on my WSL (Windows subsystem for Linux) system.
But I fail; see below.
For some reason cabal complains about installing a library.  (That seems peculiar - isn't that what cabal is for?)  But it helpfully suggests adding -lib.
Alas, cabal then crashes outright, which should never happen.
So I'm stuck.  What should I do?
Thanks
Simon

simonpj at MSRC-9870733:~$ cabal --version

cabal-install version 3.0.0.0

compiled using version 3.0.0.0 of the Cabal library

simonpj at MSRC-9870733:~$ cabal install hspec

Resolving dependencies...

Up to date

Warning: You asked to install executables, but there are no executables in

target: hspec. Perhaps you want to use --lib to install libraries instead.

simonpj at MSRC-9870733:~$ cabal install --lib hspec

Resolving dependencies...

Up to date

Distribution/Simple/GHC.hs:1959:5-56: Irrefutable pattern failed for pattern Just ghcPkgProg

simonpj at MSRC-9870733:~$ which ghc

/opt/ghc/bin/ghc

simonpj at MSRC-9870733:~$ which ghc-pkg

/opt/ghc/bin/ghc-pkg

simonpj at MSRC-9870733:~$