GHC label conventions

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Apr 1 13:46:43 UTC 2019

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> Good!
>
> Colours are a bit mixed up. Blue seems to be for "Scope". Could "Issue
> flags" be another colour, and "Types of bugs" be another. The mixture
> under those headings is hard to grok.

Yes they were; I ran out of time before I had a chance to look too
deeply at the colors.

Matthew and I discussed the matter of colors and he argued that most
labels should remain a single color (currently blue) to prevent things
from becoming too visually busy. Given how cluttered GitLab's UI already
is, I'm sympathetic to this argument.

I just had a quick look over the colors with this in mind and changed a
couple to improve consistency. Things are could likely still be improved
but the general idea is:

 * purple: types of issues (e.g. bug, feature request, task)
 * green: performance issues
 * red: correctness issues
 * yellow/brown: stages of the issue lifecycle
 * blue: bug scope (operating system, architecture, compiler subsystem,
   language featuresetc.)

Cheers,

- Ben