[GHC DevOps Group] The future of Phabricator

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Tue Oct 30 16:05:27 UTC 2018

Hi Ben,

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 15:34, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Some of the issues I list with GitHub are entirely orthogonal to
> GitHub's code review tool.
>
> While Rust has shown that large open-source projects can use GitHub,
> they have also demonstrated that it requires a remarkable amount of
> automation.

Could you say more about how this would affect GHC? The issues with
GitHub that were listed in your original email are all to do with
reviews (and to my knowledge addressed by layering reviewable.io on
top of GitHub as Manuel says), except a couple. Cribbing from followup
emails as well, I end up with the following list:

* Poor integration with external issue trackers (or at any rate with
Trac), I assume meaning, hard to transactionally close issues upon PR
merge and other ticket status updates.
* No merge-on-green-CI button.

So keeping the review UX issues aside for a moment, are there other
GitHub limitations that you anticipate would warrant automation bots à
la Rust-lang?

I'm not too worried about the CI story. The hard part with CircleCI
isn't CircleCI, it's getting to a green CircleCI. But once we're
there, moving to a green OtherCI shouldn't be much work.

Best,

Mathieu