Treatment of unknown pragmas

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sun Oct 28 06:27:54 UTC 2018

Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:

> What pragma syntax should other Haskell compilers use? I don't think it's
> fair for GHC to have exclusive rights to the pragma syntax form the report,
> and other compilers should not be relegated to using {-# X-FOOHC ... #-}.
> But now we have all the same issues again.

In my mind other compilers are of course free to use the {-# ... #-}
syntax has they see fit and GHC has no other choice but to accommodate.
Arguably the report should have just specified that the {-# ... #-}
syntax as namespaced, avoiding this whole situation.

In the case of tools we have the opportunity to correct this mistake
since no strong convention has established itself yet. This is what I am
advocating that we do.

Cheers,

- Ben