[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 07:23:14 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Just a quick update about #16969.

The primop itself is buggy in 8.4 (and it should be buggy even in older
versions -- although I haven't confirmed this) and 2 of the 3 regressions added
for it currently fail with GHC 8.4.4. I don't know what the plan is for fixing
it in 8.4, Ben may say more about this, but I'm guessing that we'll see another
8.4 release.

So if you're using the primop directly, just don't! If you're not using it
directly, then as David says the bug is much harder to trigger in GHC 8.4 (and
even older versions) than in GHC 8.6, but we don't know if it's _impossible_ to
trigger in GHC 8.4 and older versions.

We fixed the bug in GHC HEAD weeks ago (with Phab:5201), current investigation
in #15696 is not blocking any releases, we're just tying up some loose ends and
doing refactoring to handle some similar primops more uniformly. This is only
refactoring and documentation -- known bugs are already fixed.

(I now realize that it would've been better to do this in a separate ticket to
avoid confusion)

Ömer

Artem Pelenitsyn <a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com>, 27 Eki 2018 Cmt, 00:18