Suppressing False Incomplete Pattern Matching Warnings for Polymorphic Pattern Synonyms

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 01:43:18 UTC 2018

off hand, once we're in in viewpattern/ pattern synonym land, ORDER of the
abstracted constructors matters!

consider
foo,bar,baz,quux,boom :: Nat -> String

plus some pattern synonyms i name "PowerOfTwo", "Even" and "Odd"

foo (PowerOfTwo x) = "power of two"
foo (Even x) = "even"
foo (Odd x) = "odd"

bar (Even x) = "even"
bar (Odd x) = "odd"

baz (PowerOfTwo x) = "power of two"
baz (Odd x) = "odd"

quux (Even x) = "even"
quux (Odd x) = "odd"
quux (PowerOfTwo) = "power of two"

boom (Even x) = "even"
boom (PowerOfTwo x) = "power of two"
boom (Odd x) = "odd"

foo and bar are both total definitions with unambiguous meanings, even
though bar's patterns are a suffix of foos'!
baz is partial!

both boom and quux have a redudant overlapping case, power of two!

so some thoughts

1) order matters!
2) pattern synonyms at type T are part of an infinite lattice, Top element
== accept everything, Bottom element = reject everything

3) PowerOfTwo <= Even  in the Lattice for Natual, both are "incomparable"
with Odd

4) for a simple case on a single  value  at type T, assume c1 <= c2
                     , then  if   c1 x -> ... is before c2 x -> in the
cases, then both are useful/computationally meaningful
                    OTHERWISE
                      when its
                  case x :: T of
                         c2 x -> ...
                         c1 x -> ...
then the 'c1 x'  is redundant

this is slightly orthogonal to other facets of this discussion so far, but
i realized that Richard's Set of Sets of patterns model misses some useful/
meaningful examples/extra structure from
a) the implicit lattice of different patterns possibly being super/subsets
(which is still something of an approximation, but with these example I
shared above I hope i've sketched out some motivation )
b) we can possibly model HOW ordering of clauses impacts coverage/totality
/ redundancy of clauses

I'm not sure if it'd be pleasant/good from a user experience perspective to
have this sort of partial ordering modelling stuff, but certainly seems
like it would help distinguish some useful examples where the program
meaning / coverage is sensitive to clause ordering

i can try to spell this out more if theres interest, but I wanted to share
while the iron was hot

best!
-Carter