Shall we make -dsuppress-uniques default?

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Fri Oct 5 18:54:55 UTC 2018

I'm in the opposite camp. More often than not, the biggest advantage of dumps during GHC development is to see the uniques. Indeed, I often ignore the actual names of variables and just work in my head with the uniques.

Perhaps the more complete answer is to fine-tune what settings cause the uniques to be printed. -ddump-xx-trace should almost certainly. Perhaps other modes needn't. What do you say to GHC to get it to print the uniques that you don't like?

Richard