Does it sound a good idea to implement "backend plugins"?

Luite Stegeman stegeman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:33:43 UTC 2018

I think it sounds like a potentially good idea in general, but I agree with
Ben and Matthew here that a more concrete plan of intended use is needed.

Adding "pluggable backends" to spin up new targets seems to require quite a
bit of additional infrastructure for initialising a library directory and
package database. But there are probably more specific use cases that need
inspecting/modifying STG or Cmm where plugins would already be useful in
practice.

Hooks (or rather their locations in the pipeline) are rather ad hoc by
nature, but for Asterius a hook that takes Cmm and takes over from there
seems like a reasonable approach given the current state of things. I think
the Cmm hook you implemented (or something similar) would be perfectly
acceptable to use for now.

I don't think it's a problem if a hook exists for some time, and at some
point it's superseded by a more general plugin mechanism. Especially with
the GHC 6 month release cycle there's not much need for future proofing.

Luite