[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.1 released

Phyx lonetiger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:16:03 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I've made a ticket for this but it seems it hasn't gotten any attention at
all. As it stands now the 8.6.1 tarballs for Windows are a bit broken.
Because of a mistake I've made during the mapping of the ACLs from fopen to
CreateFile it's accidentally asking for WRITE attributes rights when
opening a read-only file.
Note that this is slightly different from WRITE permissions on the file
itself. So reading a read-only file works fine, as long as you're the owner
or have sufficient right to modify the metadata.
This is why the CI did not catch it.  The CI cannot create a file which
it's not an owner off, or for which it doesn't have permissions to remove
the file (it would get stuck).

The only way to catch this is to run GHC from a privileged location such as
how chocolatey installs it or how Haskell Platform would. Essentially this
means no GHC on chocolatey or HP
can run without you being an admin or the owner of the location it was
installed to, and the same applies to any binaries produced by this GHC.
This probably will prevent HP builds for it.

The ticket is here https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/15667 and the
patch has been sitting at https://phabricator.haskell.org/D5177

I'll modify my chocolatey packages to actually run the GHC after installing
it as a post install step. This should catch such errors in the future
during betas.

Thanks,
Tamar