slow execution of built executables on a Mac

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Wed Nov 7 22:33:37 UTC 2018

Sadly, none of the suggestions on this thread worked.

But here is some more detail:

- During stage-1, my machine's CPU is maxed out (or nearly so) in user mode.
- After stage-1 (most obviously during rts_dist_HC), my machine spends roughly 80% of its CPU in *system* mode.
- Testing on my other machine (which is slower, but much faster at building GHC), I never see high *system* percentages.
- Both machines use APFS, which was one candidate for the slowdown.
- The slow machine uses XCode 10.1; the fast one uses XCode 9.4.1
- The slow machine uses clang 10.0.0; the fast one uses clang 9.1.0
- `brew install gmp` on the slow machine tells me that gmp is already installed.
- As a reminder: the slow machine is macOS 10.13.6; the fast one is macOS 10.13.5. I don't wish to try upgrading the fast one... lest that slow it down!

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!
Richard