[GHC DevOps Group] The future of Phabricator

Michal Terepeta michal.terepeta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:17:23 UTC 2018

Hope you don't mind if I add an opinion of a small/occasional
contributor to the thread.

Personally, I would prefer a move to GitHub. Mostly due to familiarity
and network effect (pretty much everyone is on GitHub).

But I would also consider a move to GitLab a big improvement over the
current Phab-based setup.  A git-based workflow would be great - I use
arc/Phab too rarely to really invest in learning them better. (I just
figured out the simplest way to use them that seems to work and I'm
sticking to it :) I haven't actually used GitLab before, but it seems
super easy to sign in using GitHub credentials and the interface seems
quite familiar.

One thing that was already mentioned is the ticket handling and I just
wanted to say "+1". I *really* dislike Trac - it's slow, unintuitive and
every time I use it I need to spend a couple of minutes to find the
guide to its own weird version of markdown... So a better place for
tickets that's tightly integrated with code code hosting/review tools
would be really cool! Which brings an interesting aspect of this
discussion - if I had to choose between "GitHub for code hosting/review
& Trac for tickets" vs "GitLab for everything", I'd prefer the latter.

- Michal