Plan for GHC 8.6.1

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon May 14 18:48:46 UTC 2018

Even aside from committee feedback easily being weeks away for such a
complex proposal, I’m also concerned about how the current proposed design
changes to core seem a bit fragile with linear types.  Perhaps I’m
misunderstanding some of the current planned details , but I’m fairly
confident that I’ve got a median or better comprehension.

Type checking as if the code were inlined (per join points and related case
expressions as the linear core doc says ) tends to be a symptom of the
types not quite modelling the right information.  Likewise would not that
sort of checking create a possible quadratic blowup when linting/ type
checking core? (And quadratic blowups are bad when debugging/checking
 possibly large core programs in the core of any ghc debugging or the like
!)

That said, putting a check point on phab for feedback of a technical sort
is def something that would help.  The ghc proposal spec is vaguer than I’d
like for something like this.  And a lot of important details I care about
will be visible in the code that are lacking in the associated proposal and
paper.