Curious demand in a function parameter

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:43:38 UTC 2018

Hey,

the problem is with eta-expansion in this case, I believe, or rather the
lack there-of.
Your recursive `f` is always bottoming out, which makes GHC not want to
eta-expand the RealWorld# parameter (Note [State hack and bottoming
functions] in CoreArity.hs is probably related).
If you change `f`s last branch to `return 2`, it's no longer (detectably)
bottoming out and you get the 'desired' behavior:

test.exe: Prelude.undefined
CallStack (from HasCallStack):
  error, called at libraries\base\GHC\Err.hs:79:14 in base:GHC.Err
  undefined, called at test.hs:25:7 in main:Main

Greetings,
Sebastian