Tracking down instances from use-sites

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:18:59 UTC 2018

Chris,

I have also considered this question.

1. Look at the `idDetails` of the `Id`. A class selector is a `ClassOpId`.
2,3,

When a class selector `foo` is typechecked, the instance information
is of course resolved. The selector `foo` is then wrapped in a
`HsWrapper` which when desugared will apply the type arguments and
dictionary arguments.
Thus, in order to understand what instance has been selected, we need
to look into the `HsWrapper`. In particular, one of the constructors
is the `WpEvApp` constructor which is what will apply the dictionary
argument.
In case 2, this will be a type variable. In case 3, this will be the
dictionary variable. I'm not sure how to distinguish these two cases
easily. Then once you have the dictionary id, you can use `idType` to
get the type of the dictionary which will be something like `Show ()`
in order
to tell you which instance was selected.

You can inspect the AST of a typechecked program using the
`-ddump-tc-ast` flag.

Finally, you should considering writing this as a source plugin rather
than using the GHC API as it will be easier to run in a variety of
different scenarios.

Cheers,

Matt