Scripts merged for easily loading and running GHC in GHCi, for fast development iterations

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 04:18:07 UTC 2018

Hello GHC developers!

Now that D4904 and D4986 are merged, if you have recently built GHC
then you can use "./utils/ghc-in-ghci/run.sh -fobject-code" to load
GHC into GHCi (throwing on a "-j8" helps too).  For me, this makes
development far more pleasant, as often I can make a change and try it
out in only 15 or 20 seconds.  Thanks to Csongor Kiss for writing the
initial ghci script, and Matthew Pickering for posting about it to the
mailinglist, as otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it.

I wrote a blog post about the topic on my new blog:
http://www.mgsloan.com/posts/ghcinception/

Once D5015 is merged, the explicit "-fobject-code" won't be needed.
Once https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/15454 is addressed, it
might not be needed at all, leading to even faster loading ;)

Happy ghci-ing!
-Michael