Understanding UniqSupply

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 23 12:21:36 UTC 2018

Some quick responses

1. Splitting
What's the need for splitting anyway?

Just so you can use uniques in a tree-like way, without threading the supply around.  No more than that.

This is not needed everywhere.  For example, the Simplifier threads it thus:

newtype SimplM result

  =  SM  { unSM :: SimplTopEnv  -- Envt that does not change much

                -> UniqSupply   -- We thread the unique supply because

                                -- constantly splitting it is rather expensive

                -> SimplCount

                -> IO (result, UniqSupply, SimplCount)}

I suspect that (now that SimplM is in IO anyway) we could use an IORef instead, and maybe speed up the compiler.

But perhaps not all uses are so simple to change.

2. The tree

The crucial thing is that there /is/ a data structure – a tree, that is the unique supply. So if you have
     f u s = ….(splitUniqueSupply us)…..(splitUniqueSupply us)….
you’ll get the same trees in the two calls.  The supply is just a purely-functional tree.

So, for example

  *   The `unsafeInterleaveIO` makes it so that `genSym` is actually forced before any of the recursive calls to `mk_split` force their `genSym`, regardless of evaluation order
I don’t think this is important, except perhaps to avoid creating a thunk.

  *   This guarentees a certain partial order on produced uniques: Any parent `UniqSupply`'s `Unique` is calculated by a call to compiler/cbits/genSym.c#genSym() before any `Unique`s of its offsprings are]
  *   The order of `Unique`s on different off-springs of the same `UniqSupply` is determined by evaluation order as a result of `unsafeInterleaveIO`, much the same as when we create two different `UniqSupply`s by calls to `mkSplitUniqSupply`
  *   So, `unfoldr (Just . takeUniqFromSupply) us) !! n` is always deterministic and strictly monotone, in the sense that even forcing the expression for n=2 before n=1 will have a lower `Unique` for n=1 than for n=2.
I don’t think any of these points are important or relied on.  A different impl could behave differently.

  1.  `takeUniqSupply` returns as 'tail' its first off-spring, whereas `uniqsFromSupply` always recurses into its second off-spring. By my intuition above, this shouldn't really make much of a difference, so what is the motivation for that?
I think this is unimportant. I.e. it should be fine to change it.

  1.  Judging from SimplCore, we probably want to `splitUniqSupply` after each iteration/transformation, either through a call to `splitUniqSupply` or `getUniqueSupplyM`. Is that right?
I don’t understand the question.   If you use the same supply twice, you’ll get (precisely) the same uniques.  That may or may not be ok

SImon