submodule repos on GitHub

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:08:52 UTC 2018

It was changed when a large number of people were cloning the
git.haskell.org repo after being posted on reddit and it was causing
load issues.

There is a comment to this effect in the newcomers page source.

{{{#!comment
-- Note: when this page got mentioned on reddit, git.haskell.org
couldn't handle the load, so we now tell newcomers to clone from
github, even though it requires one more initial step.
git clone --recursive git://git.haskell.org/ghc.git
}}}

Matt