How to use ghc-heap-view of ghc-8.6

Patrick Dougherty patrick.doc at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 7 04:05:18 UTC 2018

Hello,
This effort mostly just brought the core of this [1] library into GHC. The main function you will want to try is `getClosureData`,which takes any value and returns the heap representation. There are some tricky aspects about evaluation, but I will refer you to the comments about `Box`s in [1].

As a shameless self-plug, I also wrote a bit about it. The first page is a brief intro to the heap, and the second is an example demonstrating how to track down a leaky accumulator. I also link to a few posts that sent me down this path.

This doesn't implement all of the functionality of [1], but it pulls in enough that hopefully it should be a little more stable between GHC versions. Also, you should be able to recreate many of the functions by looking at the source of [1] on hackage.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ghc-heap-view-0.5.10/docs/GHC-HeapView.html
[2] https://patrickdoc.github.io/heap-view.html

Best,Patrick

P.S. Sorry about using [1] so many times. Both libraries are called heap-view which makes it a little difficult to distinguish.