Booting ghc with system-wide installed Cabal?

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon Jul 2 19:46:43 UTC 2018

Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com> writes:

> Currently we have to build Cabal from scratch after every make clean. Ideally I
> should be able to skip this step by installing the correct versions of Cabal
> and cabal-install system-wide, but as far as I can see we currently doesn't
> support this. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Indeed we currently don't support this since ghc-pkg uses the Cabal API
which changes from release to release. I suspect you could hack Hadrian
to make this work (assuming you guaranteed that the system Cabal is
compatible with the in-tree version), but I'm not sure it's something
that we really want to encourage users to do.

Cheers,

- Ben