Spectre mitigation

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 21:49:03 UTC 2018

> The only impacted code is the code which should already be engineered to
be  side channel resistant... which already need to be written in a way
that has constant control flow and memory lookup.

As far as I understand, that's not really true. If you have a process,
which has secrets that you do not want to leak to arbitrary other code
running on the same CPU, then not only do you need to avoid indirect
branches in your side-channel resistent part (as is the case today) but the
*rest* of the program also should not contain indirect branches (assuming
the presence of gadgets which make memory leaking possible). So even if
your crypto library uses no indirect branches and is side-channel
resistant, that is no longer enough: if you link it into a program where
other parts of the program have indirect branches, then you can use those
branches to potentially leak the crypto keys.

So in general, you need to apply mitigations for this attack if you, at any
time, store secrets in the process memory that you do not want to be leaked
(and being a hardware bug, leaking means that they can, potentially, be
leaked to arbitrary users. Privilege-separation provided by the OS does not
really matter here, so in theory it may be possible to leak it from
JavaScript running in a browser sandbox for example.).

Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com> schrieb am Fr., 5. Jan. 2018
um 00:07 Uhr: