Can't push to staging area?

Bartosz Nitka niteria at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 03:32:24 UTC 2018

Thanks for the pointers, I dug a bit deeper and I've also found
https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/diffusion_hosting/#troubleshooting-ssh.

That prompted me to try:

$ ssh -v -T -p 2222 git at phabricator-origin.haskell.org
git-receive-pack /diffusion/GHCDIFF/

The result:
Authenticated to phabricator-origin.haskell.org ([23.253.149.35]:2222).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions at openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: pledge: network
debug1: Remote: Forced command.
debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: X11 forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Agent forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled.
debug1: Remote: Forced command.
debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: X11 forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Agent forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled.
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LC_MEASUREMENT = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_PAPER = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_MONETARY = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_GB.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_NAME = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_ADDRESS = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_NUMERIC = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_TELEPHONE = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_IDENTIFICATION = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_TIME = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending command: git-receive-pack /diffusion/GHCDIFF/
sudo: a password is required
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype eow at openssh.com reply 0
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
Transferred: sent 3292, received 3000 bytes, in 0.6 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 5170.1, received 4711.6
debug1: Exit status 1

I believe this means that it's failing remotely, not locally.

git-receive-pack runs normally locally.

> This is a local git configuration issue. Your pack scripts (git-upload-pack
> etc) are on a path that requires sudo or your sudoers configuration is
> wrong. See
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24059597/phabricator-git-ssh-clone-fails-with-password-required-error
>

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018, 01:06 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "sudo: a password is required"
>>
>> Can't even tell if that's local (beware e.g. Ubuntu defaults) or remote
>> (which would be a configuration problem on the remote end, not to mention
>> seeming like a bad idea).
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Bartosz Nitka <niteria at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to update a diff and I run into this:
>>>
>>> $ arc diff
>>> Linting...
>>>  LINT OKAY  No lint problems.
>>> Running unit tests...
>>> No unit test engine is configured for this project.
>>>  PUSH STAGING  Pushing changes to staging area...
>>> sudo: a password is required
>>> fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>>>
>>> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
>>> and the repository exists.
>>>  STAGING FAILED  Unable to push changes to the staging area.
>>> Usage Exception: Failed to push changes to staging area. Correct the
>>> issue, or use --skip-staging to skip this step.
>>>

>>> I believe that it worked for me before with my setup, and I seem to be
>>> in compliance with
>>>
>>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator#Startingoff:Fixingabugsubmittingareview
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,